Do you know of someone that would be a great fit for this position? Share the opportunity!
Title: Registered Nurse – Specialty Staff (OR)
Department: Operating Room
Reports To: Director of Clinical Operations
Status: Non-Exempt - PRN
Responsible for meeting patient’s priority needs by assessing, participating in interdisciplinary care planning, providing and/or delegating care and evaluating patients’ responses and progress toward clinical outcomes. Contributes to an efficient and effective work environment through activities including professional communication and documentation and/or resourcing of others. Responsible for the appropriate delegation of nursing care to licensed and unlicensed personnel according to Nebraska statute. Provides comprehensive nursing care to surgical patients, managing the patient experience on a continuum from admission through discharge.
Education and/or Experience:
• Graduation from an accredited professional nursing program required. BSN preferred.
• Current Registered Nurse License in the State of Nebraska required.
Current Registered Nurse License in the State of Nebraska required.
Current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification required.
Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certification required to monitor patients post-operatively in the Post Anesthesia Care Unit (PACU).
Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) certification and Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP) within 1 year of hire.
General Requirements/Job Duties:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and / or ability required:
- *Commits to the mission, vision, beliefs and consistently demonstrates our core values.
- *Participates in meetings, committees and lean projects as assigned.
- *Maintains professional growth and development through seminars, workshops, and professional affiliations to keep abreast of latest trends in field of expertise.
- *Performs service excellence initiatives such as: AIDET, Key Words, Managing Up, 10/5 Rule and Service Recovery when applicable.
- Effectively manages the patient throughout the surgical process (pre-, intra-, and post-op).
- Assists with pre-operative education and post-discharge phone contact to enhance the patient experience and ensure patient safety.
- Ensures patient safety in the surgical setting related to positioning, equipment, temperature, sterile technique and environment.
- Ensures compliance with quality measures.
- Is knowledgeable about sterilization techniques, sterile technique and practices these techniques accurately.
- *Verifies surgeon privileges for surgical procedures.
- Performs and monitors recovery room activities and care.
- Performs and monitors intraoperative activities and care.
- Performs and monitors recovery room activities and care.
- Accurately completes documentation to ensure an accurate account of patient care in the operating room and to provide statistical information for surgical patients.
- *Facilitates patient’s transition to the next level of care.
- *Performs hourly rounding, beside shift report and discharge phone calls consistently when applicable.
- *Collects comprehensive data including physical, functional, psychosocial, emotional cognitive and cultural assessment in a systematic and ongoing process while honoring the uniqueness of the person.
- *Prioritizes data collection based on the patient’s immediate condition, or the anticipated needs of the patient.
- *Synthesizes and analyzes available data, information and knowledge relevant to the situation to identify patters and variances and determine appropriate nursing diagnosis.
- *Develops a plan of care that prescribes the strategies and alternatives to attain expected outcomes.
- *Implements identified plan of care, documenting relevant data.
- *Evaluates patient’s response to and effectiveness of interventions.
- *Evaluates patient’s progress toward established outcomes.
- *Utilizes appropriate resources to plan and provide nursing services that are safe, effective and financially responsible.
- *Collaborates with the patient, family, providers and others in the provision of nursing care.
- *Provides education for the patient and family according to their needs, abilities, preferences and readiness to learn.
- *Demonstrates leadership in the professional practice setting and the profession.
- * Full-time and part-time employees must attend a minimum of 50% of monthly staff meetings with validation for receipt of information presented at 100% of meetings. PRN and limited part-time employees must provide validation for receipt of information presented at 100% of meetings. Completion of all mandatory sessions/trainings.
- *Follows organization’s policies and procedures.
- Performs other related projects and duties as assigned.
Essential Job functions are marked with an asterisk “*”.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of computer hardware equipment and software applications relevant to work functions.
- Knowledge of nursing process and ability to integrate into provision of patient care.
- Knowledge of organizational quality initiatives and ability to provide consistent nursing care to enhance clinical outcomes.
- Knowledge of focus areas for quality/process improvement.
- Knowledge and skill related to equipment, disease process and nursing process in the provision of nursing care.
- Knowledge and skill related to equipment, surgical procedures and processes in the provision of nursing care to surgical patients.
- Knowledge of safety measures to ensure safe patient care in all aspects of surgical care.
- Ability to maintain regular and punctual attendance.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of personnel and medical staff.
- Ability to problem solve and engage independent critical thinking skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality relevant to sensitive information.
- Ability to adhere to hospital and department procedures.
- Ability to prioritize work demands and work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment relevant to changing patient needs, including working with patients with acute, chronic, and complex disease processes.
Will have access to primary work location 24 hours a day.
Will have access to confidential information abiding by the organization's privacy policies and regulations concerning this information.
- Surgical equipment
- General office equipment to include: fax, copier, computer, printer
Patient Age Groups Served:
Essential Work Environment & Physical Requirements:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
|Physical Activity||Not |
(0-35% of day)
(36-66% of day)
(67-100% of day)
|Lifting (Floor to waist level)||20-50 lbs.||10-25 lbs.||10 lbs.|
|Lifting (waist level and above)||20-50 lbs.||10-25 lbs.||10 lbs.|
|Lifting (Shoulder level and above)||20-50 lbs.||10-25 lbs.||10 lbs.|
|Push/Pull||20-50 lbs.||10-25 lbs.||10 lbs.|
|Wrist Position Deviation||X|
|Pinching/Fine Motor activities||X|
|Keyboard use/ repetitive motion||X|
|Sensory Requirements||Not Applicable||Accurate 20/40||Very Accurate|
(Occupational Exposure Risk Potential)
|Not Anticipated||Reasonably Anticipated|
|Airborne Communicable Disease||X|
|Uneven Surfaces or Elevations||X|
|Extreme Noise Levels||X|
|Shift Requirements||8 hrs/day||10 hrs/day||12 hrs/day||Other (varied)|
|Usual workday hours||X|
|Reliable, punctual attendance for assigned shifts||X|
|Available to work overtime||X|